Questions and Answers

Q. What do I do if my child has a food allergy? How about ordering lunch at school?

A. Always notify your school nurse of any food allergies. Allergen free menus are available to pre-order.

Q. When should I keep my child home from school?

A. The student should be kept home from school if they have:

    • A fever > 100.0 F (must be fever free for 24 hours without using a fever reducer such as Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen)

    • Vomiting and/or diarrhea in the past 24 hours

    • Unexplained rash or draining sores (provide physician's note upon return to school)

    • Taking antibiotics for less than a full 24 hours for any illness such as: strep throat, impetigo, pink eyes or other contagious illness (physician's note required to return to school)

    • Head lice: CHILD MUST BE TREATED, LICE FREE and CHECKED BY NURSE before returning to the classroom

    • A cold in it's active stages with secretions that can not be contained

    • Pink or red eyes (provide physician's note upon return to school)

Q. What should I do if my child requires medications during school hours?

A. Parents requesting medications to be administered by the school nurse must

    • Contact the school nurse to obtain a Medication Authorization Form for both prescription and over-the counter medications.

    • For asthma medication the Asthma Action Plan must be completed

    • For the Epinephrine auto-injector an Anaphylaxis Emergency Plan and Delegate forms must be completed.

    • Have the Doctor or advance practice nurse complete, sign and stamp the form.

    • Please read, review and complete the parent portion of the form and sign the form(s) before returning it to the health office

    • Bring the completed form(s) and medication in its original sealed container for over the counter (OTC) or pharmacy labeled box to the school nurse.

    • Please make sure to check that the expiration date is July or later of the current school year

    • Bring nebulizer medication, mask and tubing if child's medication is to be administered via nebulizer.


Q. What do I need to do about head lice?

A. Please refer to the Summit Public Schools Policy 8454. Management of Pediculosis (Head Lice)

  • Contact the school nurse.

  • A student who is found to have active head lice will not be permitted to attend school until there are no active lice in the student’s hair.

  • Proof of treatment must be provided and all live and/or dead head lice are removed from the student’s hair as confirmed by an examination by the school nurse.

  • Contact your child's doctor about treatment options for live lice.

  • Check all household members and call parents of children who have been in close contact with your child.

  • Lice mostly spread by direct head-to-head contact, they do not jump or fly.

  • Personal hygiene and cleanliness at home have nothing to do with getting head lice.

  • Do not use pest sprays or "fogs" in your house.

  • Read Head Lice: What Parents Need to Know

  • Read Head Lice (for Parents)

Q. When should my child have a physical exam?

A. To comply with statutory regulations issued by the New Jersey Department of Education physical examinations are not provided by the district school physician.

    • Students are required to undergo a physical examination upon entry into school for the first time.

    • The examination must be completed by a physician licensed to practice medicine within the state of New Jersey or by a nurse practitioner/clinical nurse specialist certified by the New Jersey Board of Nursing working in collaboration with a New Jersey licensed physician.

    • An ideal medical program for your child consists of routine physical examinations provided by your child's own medical provider during periods of rapid growth and development.

    • It is important to obtain medical examinations by a health care provider at least one time during each developmental stage:

      • Early childhood (preschool through grade 3)

      • Preadolescence (grades four through 6)

      • Adolescence (grades seven through twelve)

    • A physical exam form can be obtained from the school nurse for completion at the time of your child's physical. The school nurse can use this information to update your child's health record with current information. The form once completed can be returned to the health office.